• Come cheer for the girls basketball teams! Go Chiefs!!

The 8th Grade Washington D. C. Trip!

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story


By Paul N

On October 7th, 2016, some 8th graders left on a bus to go to the airport and board a flight to the United States Capital, Washington D.C.  We got off the bus at about 4:30 P.M. at O’Hare Airport, then we went through a lot of security and waited to board the plane.

At around 5:15 P.M., we all boarded the plane and had to wait until everyone was on the plane before we could take off.  At around 5:45 P.M., the plane was finally ready to take off. The flight lasted for about an hour and forty minutes, and everyone’s ears were hurting because of an uneven amount of air in the outside and middle of the ear.

We landed at about 7:30 P.M., at Reagan National Airport in Virginia. There was not too much security, and after getting out of the airport, we all waited for the bus. We loaded  our luggage and headed towards our first and only stop for the night, the Marine Corps War Memorial, which featured  U.S. soldiers raising the American Flag during World War II at the Battle of Iwo Jima. The statue was magnificent at night as it was lit up; the only part of the statue that is not made of bronze is the U.S. flag, waving in the wind.

After we visited the memorial, we headed to Marriott Hotel and got our rooms and went to sleep.jeffersonmemorial2

The next morning we had to get up at around 7:15 A.M. for breakfast, and went back to our rooms to get our bags with our cameras, jackets, and other things. We hopped on the bus and headed to our first stop, the Jefferson Memorial.  We got to walk up to the steps to see the massive structure and see a statue of Thomas Jefferson, the 3rd president of the U.S.  The memorial had many columns around it and and was domed on top, and we had a beautiful view of the Washington Monument.  After we left the Jefferson Memorial, we went to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial which featured a statue of our 32nd president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his dog Fala.  After visiting the FDR memorial, We headed to the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial.  It was a magnificent statue of Martin Luther King Jr. carved from a large granite block.mlk-statue

That evening we went to the Kennedy Center, where we saw a performance of Shear Madness, which involved a murder case full of lovable characters and tons of jokes. The show also had an amazing cast, and we were the only school who had dressed up for the play which made us look extra fancy.  The set was so well designed, it was bright and had pink and blue tiles in the form of a checkerboard. The play was pretty long and at the end the mystery of the murder was finally solved.  We all headed back to the hotel and went to sleep.

The third day of the trip, we went to Ben’s Chili Bowl for dinner, and they showed us a video about Ben’s and the history behind the restaurant – even Barack Obama visited the Chili bowl as a welcome to the city (but not on our trip!) obamaatbens

After visiting Ben’s Chili Bowl, we went to a lot of monuments and memorials including the Lincoln Memorial.  The Memorial included beautiful scenery at night with a wonderful view of the reflecting pool and the Washington Monument, located across from the Lincoln Memorial.  The Reflecting Pool is meant for you to reflect on your life and to reflect on the country’s history.

The last day of the trip came and went; we visited monuments and memorials as usual, including Arlington National Cemetery.  After we left for the airport, we waited until 5:15 P.M. to board the plane, which finally took off at around 5:35 P.M. and we arrived in Chicago around 7:35 that night.  

All in all, a really good trip!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
The 8th Grade Washington D. C. Trip!