• Come cheer for the boys volleyball team! Go Chiefs!!

Filed under News and Views, Opinion

Opinion: Fake News and Why it is Bad

By Prenstin S, Special Feature Reporter
Have you ever been scrolling through the internet and an interesting news story catches your eye? Most likely, it’s fake news. Fake news websites have been popping up all over the internet lately and have been going viral due to social media.
These fake news websites make it seem like they’re real, using names like the “Boston Tribune” and “TheFreeThoughtProject.”  People create these fake news websites to earn easy money and to trick people into believing things like, “Hillary Clinton has been caught selling weapons from ISIS,” which is obviously fake, and a big part about fake news is that it is really hard to spot.
       A Stanford University study showed that 80% of middle school students couldn’t tell the difference between fake news and real news, and as I said in the beginning, “most of these people do it for money.”  A 17-year old from Europe told buzzfeed that he was doing it for a quick way to get money.
Most of all fake news isn’t really new, it’s been around for a while in America. Years ago, politicians used newsstands to sell news articles telling lies about other politicians, and it wasn’t until the 20th Century when news became accurate and was reported by professionals.
Lastly, most companies like facebook and Google have sworn to try to protect their sites from fake news, but it will be hard because of the First Amendment, which protects freedom of speech –  which means the government can’t censor what people write or say.  So they can say almost anything they want to on fake news sites, and millions of users are then exposed to the fake news and are being tricked into believing that kind of stuff, like there are aliens hovering over the top of the White House.
Well in conclusion, I think that fake news should be stopped immediately because  anything might happen –  it could start a riot, cause a fight, or even start a war of some sort.

Opinion: Fake News and Why it is Bad